Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

Our school

The movement for a school at Bundaberg West began in 1922 but without much success. Then, late in the same year, things began to move when George P Barber M.L.A. conversed with John Huxham, the Minister for Public Instruction, on the subject.

The full five acres of the school reserve were not gazetted till 7th July 1923. The original block intended for the reserve was only three acres, and when the Department requested that a further 3 allotments be added to the reserve, the Land Commission refused. These blocks were almost sold in August 1923 and it was only the Minister's insistence that five acres was "none too large for a school reserve at Bundaberg West" that saved the day.

The "Application for Establishment of a State School" was sent in on 23rd April 1924, and with it a list of the children likely to attend the new school. On 12th July 1924 the District Inspector, Mr K W Somers conducted an investigation and suggested that "...the trend of population westwards calls for greater educational facilities in that direction." All the schools in Bundaberg were then east of the railway line.

Instead of a new school, declining numbers suggested that it was no longer necessary to have separate Boys' and Girls' Central schools and the Boys' School building was to be relocated to West.

The removal commenced in late October 1925 and on 25th January 1926 most of the school was able to open. The rest opened a few weeks later. The first head teacher was Richard Moore and the enrolment for the year 1926 was 227.

Today the school is a Prep to Year 6 co-educational school with a student population of around 300 engaged in programmes offered in a variety of settings.  Our school is proudly a State School catering for all students regardless of race, culture, religion, skills, abilities or disabilities.